Battle begins for Britainís best high street
Published: 18 October, 2016
Shortlist unveiled in contest to raise standards across the nationís high streets
Twenty-seven finalists now have the chance to impress an expert judging panel and battle it out in a public vote to be crowned Britainís best. Winners in each category will not only get a share of a prize pot worth £100,000, but theyíll also receive expert training from Googleís digital taskforce for shops, bars and restaurants and a trip to Twitter UKís London office to boost their social media skills.
The Great British High Street Competition 2016 celebrates work that is being done to revive, adapt and diversify the nationís high streets. It is one of a number of initiatives to help champion high streets as the cornerstones of the community.
This yearís competition saw a record 900 entries across all 14 categories, including the new categories for individuals and shops. The public vote is now open at thegreatbritishhighstreet.co.uk and shortlisted areas will also be inspected by judges made up of industry leaders from across retail, property and business Ė including British Land, The Post Office and Holland & Barrett.
Edward Cooke, chief executive of Revo, the retail property representative body and competition sponsor, said: ďWeíve been a keen supporter of this competition for a few years. Itís a real celebration of the contribution businesses in cities, towns and villages make to supporting successful local economies and communities. Itís also recognition of the inspiring and energising individuals and partnerships that makes these places successful and prosperous.
- City: Derby, Norwich, Bristol
- Coastal: Prestatyn, Falmouth, Cleethorpes
- Local Centre: Hoole, Tunbridge Wells, Claygate
- London: Romford, Lower Marsh Waterloo, Myddleton Road Haringey
- Market Town (small): Thame, Chipping Norton, Hebden Bridge
- Market Town (large): Hinckley, Market Harbrough, Bridgnorth
- Town Centre: Hemel Hempstead, Banbury, Blackburn
- Village: Langport, Kirby Lonsdale, Pateley Bridge
- Rising Star: Dornoch, Stockton on Tees, Leominster